Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Daddy has gone home.....


It's been a while since I was on blogging and much has happen.

On October 12, 2008 at 2:25AM my Daddy peacefully closed his eyes and went to be with Jesus.

I will miss him more than words can ever express but I know he is in a better place and he is no longer in pain.

Now we are left with our memories and the fun times we spent with him. His humor and his hilarious writings in his diary. Even more importantly, he left us with a shining example of how to live our lives so that when it comes our time to close our eyes in death...we will be ready.

We didn't have a normal funeral, we had a celebration of his life. It was 2 hours and 19 minutes (this according to the videographer) Dad had always said he hated "creeeeppping" funerals, especially those that are for Christians and you know they are in a better place.

By Dad's request, there was live music played by his son Frank, his nephews Bobbi, Ronnie,Gary, Marty Whorton, his son-in-law "Smokey" Jim Winstead, his grandson Carson Winstead, his brother in law Joel Grizzle, and a great nephew Joshua Baird, and one other friend on the Dobro. Dad's favorite songs were played by the bluegrass family band which consisted of piano, accordion, banjo, Dobro, steel guitar, rhythm guitar, mandolin, drums, upright bass.

For the service, Dad's nieces Kelly Grizzle-Woods & JoAnn Grizzle-Baird along with,"Smokey" and Joel Grizzle sang and played with the band some of Dad and Mom's favorite songs.

Dad's grandchildren all wrote a note to him and each read it. Dad's grandson, Frank B. Whorton III was unable to attend as he is in active Army duty in Afghanistan. The service took a moment to stop and say a special prayer for FB a.k.a "Bubba".

Dad's daughter, Jackie Rawlings had written some funny things that Dad had done throughout the years that had cracked us all up. Marke Rawlings, Dad's son-in-law, also spoke about Dad and his incredible example he had always, everyday, set in front of all of us.

Mom had wrote Dad a letter which Davide Baird read, it was incredible. It made me remember the song that was played on their 50th Wedding Anniversary..."If they want to see how true love should be....they'll just look at us! Chances are, we'll go down in history...when they want to see how true love should be...they'll just look at us".

The service included congregational singing and joining on the stage with the band and singers was Dad's daughters, Linda Whorton-Winstead, Jackie Whorton-Rawlings and Vickie Whorton-Watts.

The closing was video complied of photos of Dad's 83 years of life with his children singing in the background, Led by the Master's Hand, Sheltered In His Arms, Thank You Lord for Your Blessings on Me.

The final song played was my Daddy singing in 1954.....

"This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through. My treasures are laid up, somewhere beyond the blue. The angels beckon me from heaven's open door, and I can't feel at home in this world any more.
Oh Lord you know, I have no friend like you. If heaven's not my home, tell me Lord what would I do. The angels beckon me from Heaven's open door and I can't feel at home in this world anymore.

Daddy always said to bury him under a hickory tree, we did the next best thing; he was laid to rest in a hickory casket at Stonewall Memorial Gardens in Gainesville, Virginia